I was born in York to a Scottish father and an English mother, then moved myself to Edinburgh, Scotland. After living for most of my life in Scotland I then moved again, this time with my wife, to Finland in 2015.
My interests are varied but include:
I've worked as a programmer, body piercer, a Goth/Metal DJ, and nowadays I'm a system-administrator for a hosting company based in the UK.
I registered the domain-name
steve.org.ukin April 1999, for a cost of approximately £79 per year.
As of 2015 I've relocated to Finland, and on a whim I looked up the domain
steve.fi, only to discover that it was due to expire in a few months time. After patiently waiting I was lucky enough to register it as it became available.
Although many many things link to the
org.ukdomain the Finnish TLD is a little more memorable and will be the preferred domain going forward.
As with the registrars of
steve.orgI've no interest in selling either of the names.
This site is built from a series of input files, and a global layout-template, using the templer static-site-generator.
The site itself is hosted upon a dedicated KVM-based virtual machine located at Bytemark.
The machine runs several webservers, each listening upon the localhost, on a high port, allowing different webservers to run under different user-ids for security. To allow incoming access I use a simple node-reverse-proxy.
Projects I spent time on include:
- Debian Administration
- This is the site which I setup to share useful pieces of information about the Debian GNU/Linux operating system.
- Digital Photography
- I'm a keen amateur photographer, and I've posted many small images upon my "portfolio" site.
- git-based DNS hosting
- Leveraging the power of git and Amazon's Route53 infrastructure this service provides git-based DNS hosting.
- lumail - mail-client.
- lumail is a small console-based webclient, with integrated Lua scripting.
- Stop Blog & Forum Spam
- This is a simple site which offers an XML-RPC service to detect and identify blog/forum spam.
My online contact-portal contains links to other sites I host, maintain, or use (such as facebook, linkedin, etc).