I've had the intention of building a web-controlled radio for a few months now, though it took me a few false-starts to get working.
Originally I was going to use an RDA5807M module, but that turned out to be too small to easily solder to anything! Once I did get the damn thing connected the performance was terrible; it couldn't even drive headphones un-aided.
My second attempt was to use an Si4703-based evaluation board. This was fine for basic operation, but it could only drive headphones. (Because the headphone output doubled as an aerial connection. Outputing to a small amplifier just gave a horrid burst of noise).
My final attempt was to use a TEA5767-based board which looks looks like this:
As you can see there are four connection pins to the left of the image, two for power, and two for I2C. To the right of the image are a pair of 2.5mm sockets. One is for (headphone) ouptut, and the other for the external aerial. Once wired up this module worked perfectly, first-time.
The board is basically self-contained, and because it has its own integrated amplifier it can drive a set of headphones, as well as being connected to an external amplifier, or speakers.
There are two real downsides to the TEA5767 module:
Connecting the hardware to the Webmos Mini D1 is pretty simple, following the example I found:
|Radio Module||WeMos Mini D1|
The TEA5767 library here can be used to drive the radio:
The code I put together can be found here:
This is a pretty basic project:
Once running the HTTP-server will display a simple user-interface which allows you to search the spectrum up/down, or tune to a specific frequency. That interface looks something like this: